Monday, October 21, 2013

My First Movie

Everyone has a first everything.  Do you have a first film memory?  Where I grew up there was a small video store called Palmer Video.  It was a little bit of heaven that had steps to walk down into all the movies.  There literally was a poster of an angel as you walked in: Date with an Angel, starring Michael E. Knight (known primarily as Tad Martin on All My Children).

 It had red carpeting and a huge counter that I couldn't see over.  As you walked in directly to the right there was a little section filled with as many movies as I thought I could see in all of my 6 years of life!  And down on the very bottom shelf, maybe a smart ploy for a 6 year old, was the very first movie I asked my mom to see over and over again:

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie starring Mackenzie Astin.  Do you remember the trading cards like Ali Gator, Messy Tessie, and every 6 year old's favorite Valerie Vomit?!!  I couldn't believe these characters came to life on the screen, the very first taste of my imagination unfolding into 90 glorious minutes.

I think what I remember most were the clothes!  Remember when fingerless gloves were an essential man-accessory?  In the movie the character Tangerine actually made and sold her own designs!  Oh did I long for a gold mini-skirt and heels!  I remember the way her sequin shirts sounded as she moved, Tangerine was so cool.

As for the story, who cares, I was 6!  It certainly touched on points like bullying and that nice guys can finish first with the help of some disgusting little friends with magic powers!  But the point is, it's the first memory I have of watching a movie: location, soundtrack, set design, actors and the magic 90 minutes can create.


What is your first story from a video store?


No comments:

Post a Comment